Loneliness causes people to feel empty, alone, and unwanted. People who are lonely often crave human contact, but their state of mind makes it more difficult to form connections with other people …according to many experts, it’s not necessarily about being alone. Instead, if you feel alone and isolated, then that is how loneliness plays into your state of mind.
Alone or lonely what’s the difference?
When I am alone I could binge on youtube videos, netflix. Sometimes I go to the movies by myself and I am okay with it because I am comfortable enough to do things alone. When I feel lonely I feel more sad and isolated, it’s more of an emotional state.
I had this conversation with my bestfriend a few months ago. I had just moved to a different city for university and everyone was out partying and drinking during the first 2 weeks and because I am not very fond of that lifestyle, I found it harder to bond with my peers. I felt lonely during that period of time because I didn’t have any friends.
Each individual will feel a sense of loneliness at some points in their life, whether it be in relationships, university, work, even in their own families. Human beings aren’t made to be alone, we are social beings and when that doesn’t happen it can bring in the lonely feeling which is probably why I felt lonely at university, I ended up binging on friends than actually making friends and listening to Britany Spear’s …Baby One More Time on repeat.
The ironic thing about loneliness is we all feel it as collective in the universe, but separatelyAmy Lee
Think about the people in your life, if you were to be in a crisis right now how many people would you call? Everyone’s reasoning to feeling lonely is different but the overall solution is to have good caring people in your life. As cliché as it may sound, genuine people are hard to find so appreciate the people that love and care about you in your life, I am not talking about your Twitter and Instagram followers, I am talking about your friends. It’s funny how the world has become more social in this day and age and yet we are still lonely.
What’s the solution to loneliness?
- Talk about it. If you are privileged enough to have people you can call friends, family members etc talk about how you feel. Even if it’s one friend, If you’re comfortable enough to do so, tell them how you feel and see how it goes from there because I guarantee you they are willing to listen.
- Cry it out. I’ve definitely had my fair share of tears, and at some times it helps. Feeling lonely isn’t the nicest feeling and crying in these situations isn’t but if you’re able to let it out, do that because crying releases stress hormones.
- Talk to yourself. Yes, talk to yourself out loud though it may seem outlandish it’s like having a conversation with yourself and it’s healthy for you to do so because you’re understanding things in a better manner. It’s really okay to ask yourself why you feel lonely and figure out where it’s coming from.
- Take care of yourself. During lonely episodes, depressive aspects can be present therefore some things that a depressed person may do, you may find yourself doing them too. Make sure to get enough rest, eat, shower and do things you enjoy. As basic as it may sound, when you’re lonely, even the smallest of tasks can be completely neglected.
- Do what you love. Develop new routines and rituals to celebrate special occasions and reward your new healthy behaviors. – Sue Ellson. Why not add a skincare routine to your daily life? Execise? A walk? Take yourself out of lunch? Listen to music. Learn anything, do anything but be sympathetic towards yourself don’t be too hard on yourself.
Loneliness affects billions of people at different ages and it’s a very disheartening feeling which I can advocate for. I still to this day have my moments but what I never do is give up on myself and neither should you. Always be kind and compassionate towards yourself even through loneliness.