From the greek word Philautia, say it with me phi-lau-tia meaning love within oneself. It can be negative or positive but our main focus is on the positive side. Would you say that you have true self love that for youself?
The mention of self love has become more prominent in social media as the years have gone by but what’s not talked about is the real self love. Self care is self love. When was the last time you checked up on yourself? How are you really doing? Are you really the good person you claim to be?
I haven’t always checked up on myself as I never felt the need to because my closest friend would always ‘do it’ for me, but through my friendships I have been taught and learned to put myself as a propority because I am the most important person in my life, it’s okay to be selfish sometimes and I believe putting yourself first is also self love.
- Self love is caring for yourself in a way you would love to be cared for.
- Self love is being honest and true to yourself about who you really are, acknowledging your right and wrong doings.
- Self love is checking in with yourself about how you feel all around. Mentally, physically and emotionally.
- Self love is doing what makes you happy like treating yourself! Yes you should get that pallate sis, yes sir, get that watch!
- Self love is knowing your worth, taking care of your own needs and not sacrificing your well-being.
You can’t expect people to love you if you don’t love yourself, they could, but only for a while because no love will ever account to the love you have for you. Value yourself in a way that no one can, not from objects or people because if you give something the power to value you, it has the power to also devalue you moreover, when you love yourself, the love you give others is purer and more meaningful.
It can be hard sometimes, you may be going through a rough patch and not have time for yourself. Life isn’t always perfect, something could happen that throws us off, we are all human with real feelings and unfortunately the older we get the less time in our busy lives we have, which results into us neglecting ourselves. It takes time, the first step is acceptance, accept who you really are, accept your flaws, like anything you have to start small, self love is a marathon and not a race. It’s a way of living, it’s doing anything that gives you a sense of happiness.
”Self love is one of the foundations of everything in our lives – our relationships with others, our health, our career, our finances, everything. Focus on the foundation and the rest of your life gets stronger.”